The holidays are full of cheer, family gatherings and lots of calories!
Here are some tips on how to maintain your weight during the holiday food fest:
- Stay Active – Although the weather may not be conducive to outdoor physical activity, you can try some simple indoor activities such as workout videos, stationary bikes and treadmill.
- Healthy Snacking – Treats are easily accessible during the holiday season. Be mindful to stay away from snacks that are high in sugar and unhealthy fats. Stick to the veggie and fruit platters.
- Portion Control – The best way to overcome obesity and maintain a healthy weight is through portion control. Check the serving sizes for the foods you are choosing to eat and try to remain within the guidelines of the recommended portion.
- Don’t Stress Eat – Try to remain mindful of your stress level during the holiday season. Use exercise, meditation, yoga or deep breathing to reduce stress.
- Bring a Healthy Dish – By bringing your own healthy meal to share, you are guaranteed to be in control of your choices.
- Limit Alcohol Consumption– Everyone loves a libation during the holiday season, but keep in mind that alcohol contains lots of calories and can cause you to gain weight.
Addition tips include cooking and baking holiday favorites with less calorie rich ingredients, such as substituting sugar and butter with more healthy options like Greek yogurt, pumpkin puree, olive oil, mashed bananas or avocado.
Hopefully, these tips will give you all the holiday cheer with none of the holiday guilt!
All content of this newsletter is intended for general information purposes only and is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please consult a medical professional before adopting any of the suggestions on this page. You must never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment based upon any content of this newsletter. PROMPTLY CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN OR CALL 911 IF YOU BELIEVE YOU HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY.