According to Healthline, Beets are packed with essential nutrients. They are a great source of fiber, folate (vitamin B9), manganese, potassium, iron, and vitamin C. Beetroot and beetroot juice have been associated with numerous health benefits, including improved blood flow, lower blood pressure, and increased exercise performance.
If you are in the mood for a beet based citrus salad delight, try this recipe for a quick, nourishing, and delicious salad.
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 bunch lettuce
- 1 kohlrabi
- 1 beet
- 2 carrots
- 1 grapefruit
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds or pepitas
- Remove the stems from the kale and chop it into bite-sized pieces. Chop the lettuce into bite-sized pieces. Peel the kohlrabi, beet, and 2 carrots and chop them into matchsticks (julienne) with a knife or using a food processor. Remove the sections from half of the grapefruit and peel them.
- In a small canning jar, combine juice from the remaining half grapefruit (around ¼ cup), 4 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon honey, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, and ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper. Cover the jar and shake vigorously to combine (or whisk all ingredients together in a bowl).
- To serve, place vegetables on serving plates or in bowls. Top with grapefruit vinaigrette and sunflower seeds or pepitas.
For this and other delicious seasonal recipes visit – www.acouplecooks.com
If you want to learn more about the nutritional value of beets, visit: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods/beetroot#:~:text=Packed%20with%20essential%20nutrients%2C%20beetroots,pressure%2C%20and%20increased%20exercise%20performance.
All content of this newsletter is intended for general information purposes only and is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please consult a medical professional before adopting any of the suggestions on this page. You must never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment based upon any content of this newsletter. PROMPTLY CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN OR CALL 911 IF YOU BELIEVE YOU HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY.