Medical emergencies can happen at any time and any place, for this reason every home, office and automobile should have a first aid kit on hand. It is important that the first aid kit is kept in a place that is easily accessible. Everyone should be aware of where it is kept.
The American Red Cross recommends that a first aid kit contain the following items:
- 2 absorbent compress dressings ( 5X9 inches)
- 25 adhesive bandages
- 1 adhesive cloth tape ( 10 yards X 1 inch )
- 5 antibiotic ointment packets
- 5 antiseptic wipe packets
- 2 packets of aspirin
- 1 emergency blanket
- 1 breathing barrier ( with one way valve)
- 1 instant cold compress
- 2 pairs of non-latex gloves
- 2 hydrocortisone ointment packets
- One 3 inch gauze roll
- One 4 inch gauze roller
- One 3 inch X 3 inch sterile gauze pads
- 5 4inch X 4 inch sterile gauze pads
- 1 oral thermometer ( non-mercury and non-glass)
- 2 triangular bandages
- Emergency first aid guide
In addition, the kit should contain emergency phone numbers for your health care providers and a small supply of medications when possible.
First aid kits can be purchased directly from the American Red Cross store and also online. Many pharmacies also carry first aid kits.
All content of this newsletter is intended for general information purposes only and is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please consult a medical professional before adopting any of the suggestions on this page. You must never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment based upon any content of this newsletter. PROMPTLY CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN OR CALL 911 IF YOU BELIEVE YOU HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY.