Flushing Hospital Medical Center in conjunction with the New York Surgical Specialists (NYSS) group are proud to announce that they now offer a safe and effective, non-surgical alternative for individuals who struggle with obesity and have unsuccessfully tried to lose weight through conventional diet and exercise.
Weight loss specialists, Sanjeev Rajpal MD, Darshak Shah MD and Noman Khan MD are all excited that Flushing is one of the only hospitals in the area to offer our patients the revolutionary, Obalon weight loss system. Obalon is the first and only non-surgical, and completely non-invasive weight loss treatment option approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Patients who participate in the Obalon treatment swallow a small, coated capsule connected to a thin tube. Once the capsule is digested, it naturally dissolves and a small, lightweight gastric balloon unfolds. This balloon is then filled with medical gases via the tube before it is removed. This process is repeated two more times over a six month period. Each procedure only takes 10 minutes, requires no sedation and can be performed in the doctor’s office.
Once expanded, each to the size of a small orange, the three balloons work to facilitate weight loss by taking up space within the stomach, enabling patients to become fuller while eating less.
After six months the balloons are removed endoscopically while the patient is under light, conscious sedation.
The Obalon Weight Loss System offers many benefits to those patients, who do not qualify for or are seeking an alternative to bariatric surgery, including:
- Obalon is clinically proven to be twice as effective as diet and exercise alone
- There are minimal risks or side effects
- No sedation is required and the entire procedure only takes 10 minutes
- Obalon is affordable as compared to other surgical weight loss options, but it is not currently covered by most insurance providers
- Patients can resume their normal daily lifestyle immediately
- The procedure is completely reversible
Not everyone is a candidate for the Obalon weight loss system. To qualify, patients must be:
- At least 22 years old
- Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 30-40
- Have not had any form of weight loss surgery
- Are actively attempting to lose weight through diet and exercise
- Are committed to maintaining a healthy lifestyle during and after treatment
To learn more information about the Obalon weight loss system, or to make an appointment with one of our highly qualified physicians, please call 718-408-6977 to schedule an appointment.
All content of this newsletter is intended for general information purposes only and is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please consult a medical professional before adopting any of the suggestions on this page. You must never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment based upon any content of this newsletter. PROMPTLY CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN OR CALL 911 IF YOU BELIEVE YOU HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY.